Henrico County’s former Confederate Hills Recreation Center is now The Springs Recreation Center. The renaming occurred June 10, amid national and local protests against police violence, systemic and historical racism and the killings of black Americans, including George Floyd in Minneapolis. Varina District Supervisor Tyrone E. Nelson requested the renaming as a way to acknowledge the Confederacy as a heinous part of history and to eliminate a daily reminder of the pain and tragedy of slavery. “The Springs” is a shorthand reference to the Highland Springs community where the recreation center is located. The building was constructed in 1925 by the Locomotive Club of Richmond and later served as a swim and racket club for the Confederate Hills Civic and Recreation Association. Henrico acquired the property in 1994 and opened it as a recreation center in 1997.